RECAP: The Miami FC Fall to Miami United FC in Second Round of Open Cup

May 16, 2018

MIAMI, Fla. (May 16, 2018) - The Miami FC hosted Miami United FC in the Second Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday night, falling to their intracity rivals 1-3.

Miami quickly went on the offensive from the opening whistle, springing forward with dangerous attacks. Vincenzo Rennella set the pace of the match with his passing from midfield, and nearly pulled off a goal olimpico on a corner kick in the 11th minute, but Miami United's goalkeeper batted it away before it went in. 

The Orange and Blue went ahead by a goal in the 17th minute after a stellar attack. Ariel Martínez got loose down the right flank and let go of a cross with his off-foot. The ball bounced twice and found Dylan Mares, who uncorked a half-volley and powered his shot past the goalkeeper. 

Though Miami was on top for the entirety of the first half, they were dealt an unfortunate hand when Tyrpak was shown a red card just before the halftime whistle blew.

Miami closed out the half up a goal, but would have to play the second half down a man. 

It took the Orange and Blue a little bit of time to adjust to playing with 10 players, and Miami United took advantage in the opening moments of the second half.

Miami United's David Ochoa found space behind the defense in the 49th minute and buried his effort to tie the match at 1-1.

Just three minutes later, Ochoa's speed once again caused problems for Miami's back line, and finished to give United a one-goal lead.

After the two goals, Miami FC settled into the match and battled valiantly for an equalizer. 

Martínez was Miami's primary means of attack, taking control of the ball on the right wing and consistently cutting in to find open spaces and open teammates. 

With the Orange and Blue committing numbers forward, Miami's back line was frequently stretched thin, but the team was able to keep the deficit at a single goal due to the effort of Daniel Vega.

Vega made a series of crucial saves in the second half, two of which came on shots from point-blank range. 

With Miami FC unable to capitalize on its scoring opportunities as the match wore on, Miami United got an insurance goal from Victor Pelae in the final minute of stoppage time.

The Miami FC will now turn its focus back to the NPSL, where they will play Palm Beach United on the road. That match will be played on Saturday, May 26. 

Quick Hits

Starting XI
GK: Vega
DEF: McFarlane, Trafford, Bernstein (76' - Craft), Ruthven
MID: Mares, Martínez, Rennella (66' - Smart)
FWD: Tyrpak, Chávez, Suárez (51' - Michaud)

17' - Mares (MIA) | Assisted by Martínez
49' - Ochoa (MUFC) 
52' - Ochoa (MUFC)
90'+3' - Pelae (MUFC)

30' - Micoli (MUFC) | Yellow Card
45' - Tyrpak (MIA) | Red Card
45' - Vega (MIA) | Yellow Card
61' - Michaud (MIA) | Yellow Card
62' - Rennella (MIA) | Yellow Card