Late Rayo OKC Penalty Sinks The Miami FC 3-2

Martinez and Rusin score their first goals for the club
Apr 23, 2016

Miami, Fla. – The Miami FC was back in FIU Stadium, Friday night, playing host to fellow newcomers Rayo OKC. Both teams would play at a break-neck pace, with Rayo coming out on top 3-2.

“I think we played a good game,” said head coach Alessandro Nesta. “We made a couple of mistakes that cost us the match and the two early goals definitely changed the game.”

After an hour and a half weather delay, the Miami FC came out with an early goal in mind. In the 13th minute, Pablo Campos picked up the ball in the box and chipped the onrushing keeper. Unfortunately, the shot was cleared off the line, denying Campos his first goal of the season.

Rayo OKC would strike back, scoring two goals in quick succession. The first was netted by Robbie Findley in the 15th minute. Findley found some space outside the box and was able to beat Daniel Vega from distance. 10 minutes later, Billy Forbes got out on the break and scored on a 1v1 chance, putting Miami FC down 2-0.

The Miami FC was not deterred, as the team continued to push the pace on offense.

After 36 minutes of action, the Miami FC finally got on the board. Blake Smith head down a ball that set up perfect for Ariel Martinez, who ripped a shot into the bottom corner.

After 45 minutes of blistering action, the Miami FC trailed Rayo OKC 2-1.

Miami FC came out even faster in the second half, led by Martinez.

Martinez continually found himself in dangerous spots, drawing multiple fouls. In the 52nd minute, he curled a great free kick that was barley sent of target by a head in the Rayo OKC wall.

With 20 minutes to play, it would again be Martinez who created a scoring chance. His cross would connect with the head of Campos but the shot would trickle wide.

After 50 minutes of constant pressure, Miami FC would finally find the equalizer.

A Martinez cross bounced around the Rayo OKC box, eventually finning its way to Aaron Dennis. Dennis head the ball back towards multiple Miami FC players. It would be Brad Rusin to get behind the ball and head it home to tie the game at 2-2.

10 minutes later, a foul call at the top of the box would end with Rayo OKC getting a penalty shot. Michel stepped up and converted the opportunity to put Rayo OKC ahead 3-2.

The Miami FC would throw everything forward at the end of the game but could not equalize again, falling to Rayo OKC 3-2.

The Miami FC is back in action, Saturday, April 30 as they head north to take on the Ottawa Fury.